Later 20th century: Post-Modernism
I don't have big anxieties. I wish I did. I'd be much more interesting. - Roy Lichtenstein
World War II set the stage for the second half of the 20th century. The US and the Soviet Union became major nuclear powers. There are no limits for artists. The new center for art was from Paris to New York. Movements rapidly come and go and a new interest in environmental art starts.
Need to know dates:
1950 Abstract Expressionism
1960 Pop, Neo-dada
1970 Earth Art
1980 Post Modernism
* YouTube: Maya's Lin's Vietnam War Memorial
* YouTube: Eva Hesse, Untitled
* YouTube: Louise Bourgeois's Maman
* YouTube: Chuck Close, Portrait in Progress
* Learn more about Mark Rothko and his paintings other than color fields from the National Gallery of Art, Wash. D.C.
* Incredible website on the Vietnam War Memorial by Maya Lin.
* I have to say this kinda of amazing...Watch Chuck Close on The Colbert Report from a 2010 episode. He talks about his process, his disability, and his early and later portraits.
* Have Netflix? Watch Andy Goldsworthy's Rivers and Tides! Amazing site specific art!
* Check out MOMA's amazing collection of Louis Bourgeois's works which, involves themes of traumatic childhoods, spiders, motherhood, and animals and insects.
*Discover Ai Weiwei's Sunflower Seeds
* This seems fun! Create a really interesting collage on MOMA's website!
* Read about Chris Ofili's The Holy Virgin Mary (pdf) and why it's so controversial. Dialectical Journal template is here.
* Create your own Jackson Pollock painting
* Official Jackson Pollock page by Artsy They have a great collection of artists and galleries.
* The National Gallery of Art - learn more about Pollock and his early artworks, life, and processes of ACTION PAINTING
Pollock Number 1
Color Field Painting
Rothko Number 14
Lin Vietnam War Memorial
Hesse Untitled (Rope Piece)
Hamilton Just What is it that… Rauschenberg Canyon
Close Self Portrait
Christo Surrounded Islands
Smithson Spiral Jetty
Van der Rohe Seagram Building
Ofili The Holy Virgin Mary
Chicago The Dinner Party
Kruger Your Gaze…
Koons Balloon Dog